Did you know that the acid in your stomach is powerful enough to dissolve some metals? Acidity is measured on a pH scale, which ranges from 0 to 14. Stomach acid, with its pH balance between 1 and 2, is only slightly less acidic than battery acid. This acidity is necessary for breaking down the foods you eat into easier-to-digest particles and acts as the first line of defense against pathogens and microbes that could make you sick.
While stomach acid is potent, the cells lining your stomach release mucus to protect the stomach lining from being damaged by the acid and other gastric juices. This ensures that the acid serves its intended purpose without harming the sensitive organ. However, imbalances in stomach acid production can occur, leading to various issues. High levels of stomach acid can result in heartburn, acid reflux, and ulcers, while low levels of stomach acid may impair your ability to digest food properly.
To optimize acid production in your stomach and promote a healthy digestive system, follow these 10 tips:
1. Eat smaller meals throughout the day rather than large, calorie-dense meals.
2. Avoid lying down for 2 to 3 hours after eating and refrain from eating 2 to 3 hours before going to bed.
3. Avoid wearing tight clothing that puts pressure on your stomach, as it can disrupt the digestive process.
4. Increase the amount of fiber in your meals, as fiber aids in digestion.
5. Stay away from smoking, as it can irritate the stomach lining and affect acid production.
6. Limit your consumption of processed foods and seed oils, as they can contribute to digestive issues.
7. Chew your food thoroughly and mindfully, allowing for better digestion and nutrient absorption.
8. Stay hydrated in between meals by drinking at least eight glasses of water per day.
9. Prioritize getting 7 to 9 hours of quality sleep each night, as proper rest supports overall digestive health.
10. Maintain a healthy weight through a balanced diet and regular physical activity, as excess weight can put pressure on the stomach.
By following these tips, you can support optimal acid production in your stomach, improve digestion, and prevent digestive discomfort.
Credit: Private MD Labs
Recommended Gut Health Products We Carry:
by Core Nutritionals
- Core Probiotic Blend™ – Custom formulated blend of live organisms to provide the gut with beneficial bacterial support.
- Core Biome® Tributryin – Postbiotic that aids in the body’s inflammatory response and stimulating growth of new cells
- SunFiber® – Prebiotic fiber that can help increase the absorption of important macronutrients and vital minerals
by 1st Phorm
- A very small percentage of Americans consume the appropriate amount of fiber on a daily basis. Those of us that fall short on fiber intake are extremely under-eating fiber – only consuming about half of our daily needs!
Maintaining healthy digestive function can help maintain regular bowel movements.* Plus, it may also help cleanse your digestive tract to help remove toxins from your system, so they are not absorbed or reabsorbed into your body.*